Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I Digress: A Return To The "100%" Mantra

I am going to take a brief intermission from my questions in order to return to something that I posted about several months ago: my committal to living and doing things in my life at 100%.

I doubt anyone remembers this little diatribe of mine, but I just wanted to quantify my efforts, both in fitness and life in general. I therefore put a goal of 100% on everything I do on a daily basis. I know 100% is hardly possible with everything, especially considering how subjective this is. Regardless, many days I have caught myself slacking in one department or another, and I try to steer the ship back in the right direction. On a day like today where I am in a bit of a funk (I suffer from light seasonal depression), giving myself a bit of an evaluation seems like a good choice. Here is where I think I stand in a few categories:

Fitness: I would give myself about a 90% in this area. I am sticking strong to my marathon plan, I am cross-training on most of my "rest" days, and I am hitting my runs/workouts with an alright amount of ferocity. Still, I think I could do more, and I want to do more. Today I did a one-mile time trial, and I think I could have pushed a bit more to get under 6 minutes - just an example, but I want no regrets come May.


Job/Career: I love to teach, but I am not a kindergarten teacher by trade. The job market for teachers here in Ohio is abysmal, so I was forced to take what I could get for a daily paycheck, while stilling getting an experience for my résumé. Some days my patience is paper thin, but I can honestly say I am doing my very best about 80% of the time. That other 20% comes on days where, for whatever reason, I just get worn down. This is an area I can always improve in, and I think I have, especially since my last 100% update. I just really need to get a job in grades 4-9! With that said, I love my students, and there is no way I could go in, everyday, rain or shine, sickness or more sickness, unless I thought the world of my little crazies.

Friendships: Yikes - I am throwing this on here and just now thinking about it, and I am an awful friend. I don't like to talk on the phone, so that is a big strike one. Most of my friends live farther away, so that is strike two. Strike three comes because I just don't really have the time to do much! If my friends lived close, and if they were runners, I don't think this would be a big deal. I just need to really address this! The Super Bowl will be a good chance! I will give myself a 65% because friendships are a two-way street, and I feel like I do the vast majority of the effort when it comes to making plans or getting ahold of someone. Sometimes I just feel invisible!

Relationship: Psh, like I am going to talk about that on my blog! ;) If you want drama, head on over to ABC and watch The Bachelor.

Diet: If this category were on a graph, that piece would look like a bloody roller coaster! I think this is an area I will always struggle with, but I am learning a lot, and I think I am continuing to improve, especially in the area of balance. I will give myself a solid 75%.

Final Thoughts: I think these scores all give me an ample opportunity to improve. If I took the easy way, and simple gave myself all 100%, where would I be able to look to in order to get better? Hopefully this kind of positive self-criticism is a helpful tool for someone besides me, but if not, it is certainly helping me during these tough, dark, cold times.


Week's Training Thus Far:

Monday I modified the above crossfit WOD in order to better fit my needs, and to avoid congestion at the gym. I had to look up the wall ball shots, and there was just no way I could pull that off in a crowded facility like mine. The same went for the double unders because jump roping didn't seem practical. I also eliminated the kettlebells because I wasn't working my shoulders. The rest I completed, some all at once. Some I had to do in a few sets, but that is okay. I also added I a few of my own tricks and machines in order to round out a chest, back and core day. I also liked the exercises that used my legs so that I was getting a workout without too much pressure on the knees.


Tuesday: I don't really want to say what the above route looked like on my Tuesday run (hairy nuts), but I will say that this was an amazing run. I started off sluggish, and I was regretting wearing my FiveFingers. This feeling didn't last long because after the first mile, I was off to the races! I went from a sore 8:56 mile to 8:16 overall. I could have gone more, and I even added a mile over what I was scheduled for. Sometimes you just gotta go a little farther, especially in unseasonably warm temps. I followed the run up with some arms, shoulders and core. I can't really remember much from the gym, so it must have been fairly unremarkable.

Today: As you saw, I did a time trial today after a mile warm up. The weather was still just warm enough to be in shorts and a short sleeve running shirt, but I was a bit cold to start. I am not unhappy with my time, but I need to improve before March and impending 5k/10k season! I think I just need to really pick up my speed in my weekday runs, include more speed work, and even do more short mile runs. I will go sub-20 this spring!

Side Notes From Life:
I will make this brief, but part of my frustration today was caused by this little gem this morning:





Yeah, that is my ceiling crumbling to the floor! We got a bad rain storm last night, and that area had been leaking for awhile. We had called to get it fixed well over a month ago, and no one had come out. So, now they ultimately will have to tear up a huge section of my kitchen! I am not pleased, and the piece falling scared my dogs. Not cool nature, not cool.

If you were to rate yourself on a 100% scale, how would you be doing?

I want to hear about your training! Let me know.

Ever had your roof leak, or have you had any home-owner issues?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

28 comments:

  1. oh crap, I'm sorry about the roof!! :(

    what a great way to assess every part of your life. You're very aware of what you need to work on, and that's great!

    Out of what you mentioned, my diet is a complete rollercoaster as well. That's why I don't talk much about what I eat because I'm so up and down and don't think I'm very healthy - too much processed foods, sugars, etc!

    Maintaining meaningful friendships is hard work, but so important in my life. I give myself 100% there :D haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem like you would kick ass as a friend!

      I think the key is just to try, and be conscious of your effort.

      Delete
  2. Nice mile time! I would say I am not at 100% in any area of my life...I am too busy right now. Friendships take the hardest hit for me because I have to get through graduate school and spend time with my husband. And try to run. I think my friends understand? I don't like the phone either. I have never owned a home so no ownership issues but plenty of renter issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renting is so nice because it is someone else's dime! Yeah, I just think me and my friends are in so many different places in our lives. Luckily, we still have fantasy football!

      Delete
  3. Since reading your post, I've been thinking about this, and it seems that, for me at least, aiming for a monthly average of 85-90% seems more reasonable. I only have so much time/energy/sanity, and responsibilities change daily/weekly/monthly - so sometimes giving 100% in some areas means a little less in others. So while 100% may be my "goal", I think I'd be content to keep my average in the 85-90% range.

    What's in that range now? Relationships, blogging, fitness, marriage
    What's not? Science, website development, reading

    Well, I guess I'd better get to work! :)

    PS Can I ask a nosy question? Are you run-training with a coach? I'm just curious, because the idea of going for 5K/10K PRs within 1-2 months of a marathon seems a little weird to me. I'd just caution you to be very careful with your super-speed work, and think about what your #1 running goal is, and make sure your plan is designed to get you there. Going for too many things at once can lead to injury, burnout, and/or inability to meet any of your time goals. I just don't want to see you fall victim to any of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to make people think a little! I think you have the right idea. Being at 100% isn't realistic, but it is the effort to get there that really counts.

      I am totally focused on my marathon, so I am not doing hardcore track work or anything. I just still think I will end up getting a PR in a 5k because of how much overall fitness I have attained since my last race. I am very careful in my training because of my knee, so I don't go too overboard. I will make sure to stay focused though! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ok so funny story about ceilings! This was about 4 years back and my family already sold our apartment and were moving to a new one. Well... the ceiling in our bathroom just fell apart, literally there was a hole. I felt horrible because the new owners would come in and see it :S I guess the building management is responsible for restoring it so it's not too bad.

    I'm definitely not 100% in all areas of my life. This deserves a whole post! It's great that you're recognizing your strengths and weaknesses. There's only so much one can do with their time so you've got to pick your battles ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are busy, of realize how much time you spend on the little things during the day (getting ready in the morning, showering after the gym, etc) I will be the first to admit that I flat out suck at time management. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I hope your ceiling issue is resolved quickly! My house was built in 1924... enough said ;)

    I'd say I'm not at 100% in any area of my life right now, but that doesn't bother me because I try my best everyday. At the end of the day I think about everything that made me happy and take note of the areas that need improvement. So, I guess I'm 100% trying!

    Nice job with your Five Finger run! That's great you were able to run so far and so fast in them. I've never tried them but my friend says he feels like a kid again when he runs in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a kid? I like that comparison. In Chi Running the author talks about a time he saw kids playing and how free/fluid their movements were when running, so maybe I am doing something right.

      100% trying - I like that! That is a good way to sum up a lot of what I was talking about.

      Delete
  6. Wow that WOD looks awesome! I love doing workouts like that in my living room. I need to do them more! You are speedy with that one mile time trial! As for me I am a work in progress but always striving for that 100%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely feeling my efforts this week! My quads are sore for the first time in ages! Hey, we are all works in progress! That is the best part about being a runner!

      Delete
  7. Looks like an honest reflection! It looks like you're doing a pretty great job. I think it would be nearly impossible to be 100% in every category. So, people choose what they want to focus on and a couple areas get a bit neglected. I think that's called balance!
    Brutal about your roof! Thank goodness it didn't land on a pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of home ownership ;)

      Yeah, I really try for balance, but there really are not enough hours in a day!

      Delete
  8. Oh I feel ya on the homeowners issues, I just had my heat go out again! lol But thank goodness I have a home warranty, it helps to cover most big repairs.
    Great job on your fitness!
    P.S. You seem to be a good friend to me lol and I am pretty far away but I don't like to talk on the phone either! lol I do it all day at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the builders have covered most issues so far! I can't complain too much considering I have heat! I hope they get that fixed for you soon!

      Thanks! It has been a good week!

      I think the key is that I need more runner friends!

      Delete
  9. Eesh, what a week. I hope the sky isn't still falling for you.

    I really love how detailed you are about your day to day. Kicking some butt.

    Teachers are so underappreciated. Kudos to you! I wish you loads of luck in getting a gig you want.

    Keep up the hard work - life is full of these roller coasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I just try to put my sails up, and go with the flow. Yes, we are very under appreciated, but at least we love what we do... Usually.

      Delete
  10. Wow..bad week indeed!!!! I'm sorry abut the roof.
    I agree teachers are pretty unappreciated--that NEEDS to change!
    Hope this weekend is absolutely kind to ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to this weekend! The Super Bowl is one of my favorite holidays, though I wish Monday was a national holiday.

      Delete
  11. Bummer about the roof! At least you don't have to pay for (happy note) I would say that I am not at 100% at anything in life right now. Though my whole life has been flipped upside down being halfway across the world and all. So right now I shall take life as it comes and do the runs I can and when I hit the states we will hit the ground running fast and hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least your life is super exciting! Things can get pretty dull here!

      Delete
  12. Interesting concept. I think it is good to take a step back and see how you are doing on life. I've haven't been very good at keeping in touch with out of town friends lately -- that is something I want to be better at. But I think I really have been giving 100% in exercise. Probably a little less in work and diet. Always something to work on, right?

    Good luck getting your ceiling fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roof is repaired, and I hope they come to do the drywall soon! What a mess!

      Yeah, like I said, I think we all need something to work towards! Impressive that you at at 100%! Keep it up!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Unfortunately my percentage would be a lot lower, especially in the diet category. I have no willpower when it comes to sugar!

    Owning a home can be rewarding/frustrating all at once. Some days I think renters have the right idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I feel the same! It can be a lot of work and very frustrating.

      Dieting is hard! I suck at it! I just try to eat good things whenever I can!

      Delete
  14. I really like this 100% scale idea! It's a great way to track your progress and get better in every aspect of your life. I haven't done this yet, but I think it would be very humbling to honestly look at what percentage I would give myself in each aspect. I agree that giving 100% in every area may not be realistic, but it certainly is something to shoot for.

    Happy to hear your roof is fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is important to humble ourselves from time to time, so I say go for it. The moment we know where we actually stand is the moment we can start working in the right direction again.

      Delete