Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day Weekend On The Road

I recently learned of the Hudepohl 14k, and I figured it might be a good idea to start some intensive medium distance training. Prior to this labor day weekend, I had been primarily been focusing on shorter runs. Additionally, I was being kept down by either a cold or some bad allergies. Now that I am back to 100% I can get back to some longer distance runs during the week. I started this renewed routine with a 10.1 mile trek. Mind you, I wasn't exactly lying on the couch over the past week; I was still in the gym almost every day. Regardless, getting back above 10 miles wasn't easy. Nevertheless, I felt pretty good about it. I managed about an 8.5/min mile pace. I figure I will quicken that considerably for the race. I will also be running with a good friend, so my pace may be dictated by him. I just don't want to be the one slowing us down. As for the run itself, I spent much of it on two extended straight roads. This may be something I avoid in the future as I felt like I was getting nowhere, and I was way too exposed to the elements. Furthermore, I had my shirt off after it had been thoroughly soaked on such a muggy late-morning; I was somewhat self conscious on such a major road.

Despite some soreness in my right knee, I was still able to comfortably do a few miles on the treadmill at the gym the following day. I am making sure to have plenty of protein and water to recover for my training this week. I was worked on my core using weights, along with my chest and back. I am attempting to work my whole body as much as possible. I have noticed a considerable difference in both my confidence and my physical running form since I started spending the extra time in the weight room. Plus, the added bonus of looking good doesn't hurt.

This week should be interesting. I need to hit it hard as I don't have any races this coming weekend. I will then tone things down for a 5k the following weekend, and the even more before the 14k. Farther beyond that, in October, I am looking forward to Tough Mudder. I plan to keep myself quite busy this running season. I want to have some quality experience before I really come strong in a full marathon in the spring. I am going to get up in the morning and run 3 or 4 miles. Unfortunately, I have to work in the evening, so that may be all I have time for. The following day will be some low-impact machine work, along with core/obliques and arms/shoulders. That should start me off strong. I will be sure to update as things progress this week. Maybe I will have time for two runs tomorrow. Until then, keep them laced.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment